Since zucchini is abundant throughout the summer (we’re just getting some from our garden), it’s the perfect time to make zucchini bread or muffins. I’ve made my fair share of zucchini bread over the years but when trying to make them “healthier” they always seemed to get a little dry. I decided to make a few changes. First, make muffins instead of bread. They bake faster and are less likely to dry out. Second, add applesauce to help reduce some of the butter without compromising texture and third, swap regular whole wheat flour with whole wheat pastry flour which makes the muffins a little lighter. These muffins are lower in sugar so enjoy them for breakfast, as a mid-afternoon treat or even for your chocolate fix after dinner.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup fat-free milk (or plant-based milk)
1 1 /2 cup shredded zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients; flour through cinnamon. Add chocolate chips.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, vanilla, butter, applesauce, milk and zucchini until combined.
- Add flour mixture to the zucchini mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Scoop into prepared muffin cups and bake 20-25 minutes.