Silky beans in a rich olive oil broth ladled over a piece of toasted whole grain bread, yes please! Marcella Hazan was known for embracing simplicity and balance. These were the hallmarks of her cooking. You might be tempted to add other ingredients, but don’t! Consider this famous quote of hers, “What you leave out is just as important as what you put in”.
Marcella Hazan's White Bean Soup with Garlic and Parsley
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic, about 1 large clove
6 cups cooked cannellini beans (either cooked from 2 cups dry or canned and rinsed)
1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add the oil and garlic to a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the cooked or canned beans, pinch of salt and few grinds of pepper. Cover and simmer gently for 5-6 minutes.
- Take 1/2 cup of beans from the pot and puree them in a blender or food processor with all of the broth until smooth.
- Add the pureed beans back to the Dutch oven and simmer for another 5-6 minutes.
- Swirl in parsley and turn off heat. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle over a piece of toasted whole grain bread in an individual bowl.
Note: If you need more broth, add another cup at the end.