Everything bagel spice blend is a quick way to add a punch of flavor to oven-baked chicken tenders. Mix the seasoning blend with fresh whole grain bread crumbs for a crunchy coating and a healthy twist on this kid-friendly classic. Serve with a quick honey mustard dipping sauce, green salad and some roasted veggies.
2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, preferably homemade
1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
1 pound chicken tenders
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon honey
- Place flour on a plate. Lightly beat egg in a different plate. Mix bread crumbs with everything bagel seasoning and place on a third plate.
- Dredge chicken tenders in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken. Brown on one side, about 4-5 minutes, turn and brown on the other side. Cook for about 8 minutes total depending on the thickness of the chicken tenders. Chicken is done when it registers 165 degrees. If the chicken tenders are thick, the breading might start burning before the chicken is cooked all the way through so you may have to finish cooking them in a 400 degree for about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk mustard, mayonnaise and honey. Drizzle over the chicken or use as a dipping sauce.
- Serve with a large green salad.
Note: This comes together fast so it’s perfect for a quick, weeknight family meal. Serve the chicken fingers with a garden salad and roasted vegetables like sweet potatoes wedges and Brussels sprouts. Also, if you have extra buttermilk, you could marinate the chicken tenders in the buttermilk for 30 minutes before breading. You would not need to use the egg if you are using buttermilk.