Not another cauliflower recipe but hear me out! This vegan taco recipe is amazing! You’ll notice that the ingredient list looks long but each step is quite easy and the recipe moves from step to step rather smoothly. You’re always doing something while you’re waiting. Making the pickled cabbage while the cauliflower bakes and the cashew cream while the cabbage pickles. Organize your ingredients ahead of time so each step will be simple to complete. You will love the burst of flavors and textures in these tacos and you won’t miss the meat.
Rainbow Cauliflower Tacos with Cashew Cream
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
1 yellow bell pepper, quartered and seeded
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 cup boiling water
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
6-8 corn tortillas
1/4 cup pepitas or pumpkin seeds
Parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss cauliflower florets and peppers with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until cauliflower is browned around the edges and peppers are softened.
For the Cashew Cream
- While the cauliflower is roasting, place the cashews in a heat-proof bowl and cover them with boiling water. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse.
- In a high-powered blender, blend the soaked cashews, garlic, nutritional yeast, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup water until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
For the Pickled Cabbage
- While the cashews are soaking and the cabbage is roasting, mix cabbage, vinegar, water, sugar and 1 tablespoon salt in a medium glass bowl. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve, about 1 minute. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to assemble the tacos.
Spread a few teaspoons cashew cream on a tortilla. Top with cauliflower and roasted peppers and pickled cabbage. Sprinkle with pepitas, parsley or cilantro, a few slices of avocado and a squeeze of lime. Top with some additional cashew cream if desired.