With the holidays quickly approaching, it’s a good time to lighten-up your meals. Here’s a lasagna that has half the carbs of regular lasagna but packs just as much flavor.
Nutrition Note: When you need the ease of tomato sauce from jar, try Dell’Amore. It’s a good source of vitamin C and A and contains only fresh ingredients. The Dell’Amore Original Recipe is lower in sodium than most jarred sauce.
Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
2 small spaghetti squash (about 1 1/2 pound each)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 (8 ounce) package fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounce part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
1 1/2 cups low-sodium marinara sauce (Dell’Amore)
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
Note: You will have some leftover filling!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut each squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place squash halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove spaghetti-like strands. Place strands on a clean dish towel; squeeze until barely moist. Reserve squash halves.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add garlic; saute 30 seconds. Add spinach, stirring to wilt. Remove from heat. Combine spinach mixture, squash strands, ricotta cheese, salt, and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese in a medium bowl.
- Return skillet to medium-high. Add turkey to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add marinara sauce; cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Arrange reserved squash halves on baking sheet. Spoon sauce evenly onto the bottom of each squash half. Top evenly with squash mixture. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high (keep pan in oven). Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven, let stand for 10 minutes.