Lemon and olive oil is a match made in heaven and these light, lemony cupcakes do not disappoint. Thank you to Elena Paravantes, RDN for her cookbook, The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook which features this delicious recipe as well as many others!
Light and Lemony Olive Oil Cupcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
7 oz (200g) 2% Greek yogurt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Zest of 2 lemons
For the glaze:
1 tbsp lemon juice
5 tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat the over to 350oF (180oC). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and then line a seond pan with 6 liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and olive oil, and mix until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Add the Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter, 1/2 cup at a time, while continuously mixing.
- Spoon the batter into the liners, filling each liner two-thirds full. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the glaze by combining the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Stir until smooth, the set aside.
- Set the cupcakes aside to cool in the pans for about 5 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
From Elena Paravantes, RDN, The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook